A Table for Eight

A Table for Eight

Thursday, September 8, 2011


First day of preschool and I have the butterflies.  I am ok with them being without me.  Kinda looking forward to it honestly.  A little down time.  I am ok with someone else trying to decode what they are saying and letting them dribble pee over someone elses toilet for few hours.

The butterflies are for: Are  they going to listen to the teacher?  Are they going to claim a toy and not share?  Will they refuse help when they really need it?  Will they stand at the door and call for me because they just cannot handle all the change and all the chaos?  Will the other kids accept them or be a little stand offish because they are different? 

As  I drove away this morning to walk with a good friend a quiet peace came over me.  They will be fine.  They will be fine.  Not perfect, but fine.  I have to remind myself often of how long they have been home.7 months. 

When I went to pick them up I chatted with all these precious ladies I used to work with 7 months ago!  They said, "they did fine!"  They did not want to sit at circle time, Israel stood in front of the door and quietly chanted my name in hopes  I would rescue him, they did not want help opening their cheese stick, and they had a hard time sharing the trains.  All in all they did great!!  Normal 3 year old behavior!


When I asked them if they want to go back to preschool next week there was a loud yes!  Well more like a loud Ye since they have trouble with those, S's.  So back they will go next week to play more trains and read more books and sing the ABC song.  Those were apparently the highlights of the day.   And I will pray for that peace that was given to me this morning and know that they are going to be just fine.  Maybe even great!!



No comments:

Post a Comment